National V8 Club Meets & Events
National Club's  FAQs
By Lamar Hart
I went out to the Western National Meet in Keystone, Colorado this fall. With all the work involved at the Hiawassee meet, I really missed the relaxed enjoyment of a national meet. Keystone is a ski resort town over 9000 ft. elevation, so all of us old guys had some trouble breathing, even those from Denver. You’d walk forty or fifty yards and be huffing and puffing. At this altitude water boils at a lower temperature, so guess what happens to those flathead engines. At times out there I felt a close kinship to those old motors.
The host club was the Hi-Country Regional Group #28 in Denver. The Denver people really treated me great. Dick Adams, the Registration Chairman, helped me arrange to share a two-bedroom condo with Frank Sims and his long-term friend Taffy. They made sure I met everyone and that I was included in all the activities. I really felt like a member of the Hi-Country family. This was a well-planned and well-executed meet. They had seventeen people who were co-chairmen of nine committees. The Hi-Country Regional Group has sponsored the Western National Meet several times,
so they know the drill. It’s a large club, about 160 members.
On Monday I flew to Denver and picked up a rental car. I had reserved the very cheapest car available, as recommended by Clark Howard. The car was some Asian automotive attempt that I don’t recall. The man at the rental counter said “You don’t want to drive that little car up to Keystone, let me upgrade you into a Jeep Cherokee for an additional $10.00 per day”. This turned out to be a wise choice. Thank you Clark Howard. That evening I had dinner with a small group from Denver.
Tuesday I woke up early, altitude also affects one’s ability to sleep, and huffed and puffed to the swap meet. I bought a couple of small items that could be packed into my luggage. We attended two afternoon seminars followed by the Welcome Party. At the party, Ken Bounds from Chicago came up to tell me how much he enjoyed the Hiawassee meet. A few minutes later Jon and Mary Anderson from Pennsylvania stopped at my table with the same compliment. At the end of the party Frank and Taffy introduced me to Joyce Comin who was recently widowed. Joyce had driven her 1950 Mercury sedan from Denver.
   Thursday featured a Grand Tour to Leadville, Colorado. This was not a long trip but it was a climb to 11,000 feet elevation. More huffing and puffing. I was fortunate to hitch a ride with Joyce Comin in her Rouge Mercury. She and her friends made sure that I got to see all the historical sights in Leadville.
That evening I went with Frank and Taffy to the Western style BBQ din-ner, which in that part of the country means beef. It was really beef and chicken with all the fixings. It was still a little chilly, so thank goodness they had an en-closed tent. After dinner we gathered around a big bonfire to enjoy a bluegrass band.
Friday’s big activity was the Summit Country Poker Run. This took us to several little old mining towns and through some absolutely beautiful mountains. One of the checkpoints was at Loveland Pass, which is above the timberline. Again I was fortunate to hitch a ride with Joyce, and again she and her friends made sure that I was part of the club activities. They are really great peo-ple, and I thank them for their hospitality.
The Awards Banquet was Friday night. Keystone has a convention cen-ter so the banquet was a more formal affair. All seventeen members of the plan-ning committee were at a head table, on the stage. The presentations were well planned, well rehearsed, and well executed. Very professional. Frank Sims was the Awards Chairman, in charge of trophies. Now we know from our Hiawassee experience what a challenge that is. The Hi-Country Regional Group went a step beyond by arranging to put the recipient’s name on each plaque before it was presented. I was really impressed. Everything went smoothly, except maybe the following:
The Hi-Country Regional Group sponsored three fund raising raffles for this event. The major raffle was for two round trip tickets to anywhere Frontier Airlines flies, plus a one week lodging at the Keystone Resort Lodge. The drawing was made at the end of the banquet. Frank Sims won that raffle drawing. The next drawing was for a large quilt made by the club ladies. Frank won that drawing also. He quickly declined and another ticket was drawn.
I thoroughly enjoyed my week at the 2005 Western National Meet. The Denver club members were generously hospitable. I feel lucky to have had this opportunity. Not as lucky as Frank Sims maybe, but certainly fortunate none the less.
Wednesday was Concourse Judging, for which I had volunteered at registration. The day was cold, cloudy and windy. Our little group had all the 39 & 40 open and closed concourse cars to judge. This represented 7-8 cars. It was slow going because a couple of them were relatively not restored. Perhaps those owners just wanted a list of items to work on. This always takes more time. Just before noon it started snowing! So we took a break for lunch, which happened to be a cold boxed lunch and iced soft drinks. We got back to work about one. In a half hour it was snowing again, this time with thunder and lighting. Waymon Brownlee said that in his twenty-five years of judging, this was the first time he had seen snow at a national meet. There was one really enjoyable highlight that day. Our group judged a 1939 convertible sedan. It was perfect. We could not find a reason to deduct a single point. It’s really exciting to judge a 1000 point car.
Left: Lamar Hart with Joyce Comin and her Rouge Mercury.
Above: What a View...and the mountains in the background aren’t bad either!
2005 WESTERN National Meet - Keystone CO
Atlanta to Dearborn in the passenger seat
By Janelle Hatcher

The trip was called “The Great Adventure.” It turned out to be that and more. There were five V-8 Fords all raring to go Friday, August 11. The group was led by Fred and Katie Lindquist in a ‘39 Deluxe Coupe, and included Roy and Janelle Hatcher in a ‘50 Coupe, Larry and Carol Tanner in a ’51 Coupe, Bob and Mary Ann Padovano in a ‘51 Tudor, and Lamar Hart and Nancy Bireley in a ‘52 Victoria. The group left Big Chicken about 8 a.m. and met Bob And Lynn Schwartz in a ‘51 Mercury in Rockmart. We stay in contact with one another with radios as we travel, pointing out things we see and sharing information.

The adventure takes us through Alabama and Tennessee into Kentucky. The first day ends in Bowling Green, KY, for the night (319 miles). There to greet us were Doug and Elizabeth Hollandsworth and Charlie and Jeanene Adams. They had taken another route traveling in a modern automobile.

Early the next day we stop at the Teepee Motel, which was built in the 1930s. It’s a motel where the rooms were individual teepees. Pictures were made of the autos and the teepees along with all of us. You really wouldn’t want to stay there.

Soon we are on the way again, stopping near Hodgenville, KY to see the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln. A memorial building made of marble and granite houses the log cabin (one room, one window, a door, and a fireplace). Here we see Elizabeth, Doug, Jeanene, and Charlie again. They tell us they will see us in Anderson, IN, in the evening, as they will be taking a different route the rest of the day.

Our next stop was near Loretto, KY to tour Makers Mark Distillery. We gathered with large group of people who would be on the same tour as us. The leader of the tour was a very enthusiastic woman who has just moved to the area from South Carolina. She was from England and had that lovely English accent. None of the buildings to be toured had AC and the day was very hot. Some of our group found places outside to sit in the shade. I was one of them, so I can’t tell you much about distillery, but I did get a whiff of barley, corn, and who knows what else fermenting in big vats.

After the tour we gathered in the gift shop (with AC) to taste the finished product, Souvenir bottles of the brew with their seal of red wax dripping down the side. Also, many sales of bourbon whisky chocolates were made.

We were enjoying the AC in the gift shop when we noticed a thunderstorm had begun. But first, we had to eat. There was a sandwich shop on the grounds, so we drove over and had delicious sandwiches and bourbon cookies.

It was now getting late and we had miles to go before we slept. Driving north through Kentucky, we passed under beautiful, shady trees (felt so good) and followed a circuitous route to the Ohio River. We crossed over on a bridge built in 1929 with a main span of 727 feet. We continued on our northern trek passing through fields of corn and other crops.

The day continued to heat up. We entered New Castle, IN, and saw a thermometer registering 98 degrees. It was getting late and we had 46 more miles to drive. Most of us wanted to stop for dinner to cool off and relax. Bob and Lynn Schwartz decided to drive on. When we left, it was getting dark. Not long into this trip we began to see lightning and horrible-looking clouds. We all began to think “tornado” because of recent occurrences. All we faced were heavy downpours. Sometimes we could hardly see the road. Our drivers really did a good job and so did the autos.

When we drove under the cover at Hampton Inn in Anderson, IN, the first person we see is Charlie Adams. The four in his group had arrived much earlier. Lynn and Bob had also arrived. Since it is after ten p.m., all of us quickly retired to our rooms for an evening of rest. (284 miles).

We are on our way today to Dearborn -- our destination. Driving toward northeast Indiana we pass the road that leads to Fairmont, IN (James Dean’s hometown and burial place) -- don’t know James Dean? Ask Mary Ann.

As we entered the Auburn, IN area, we drove through the complex where the Ford Foundation Museum is to be built. After this, we drive a few miles to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. The museum holds many, many beautiful autos. You could compare them to art pieces such as paintings and sculpture.

After leaving Auburn, we drove out of Indiana into the northeastern corner of Ohio and into Michigan. We took Highway 12 and stopped for gas. Someone spotted an ice-cream shop. We all got our favorites before the final phase of this part of the adventure. (245 miles)

We arrived at the Hyatt Regency, and it was beautiful -- 14 floors and an open lobby and elevators. We were all greeted by Cheryl and Jerry Reichel with open arms. We were really glad to see them. They had traveled in their ‘51 four-door Ford Thursday, July 10, with one stop, arriving in Dearborn on Friday. Since Jerry is a National officer, he and Cheryl are on the Host Committee. Most of our group had volunteered to assist them with the registration. This gave us the opportunity to meet and greet people from all over the USA, New Zealand, Australia, Mexico, Canada, England, Sweden, and Germany. We also saw the other members of our Club who traveled separately -- some as they registered and others as we mingle in the lobby and meeting rooms. I think there were around 500 people in attendance.

As you know, there are many activities taking place during the Meet. I’m not familiar with the majority of them. I know there will be judging of the automobiles, training for the judges, seminars, tours of many places pertaining to Fords.

The only event I can tell you about is the Ladies Tour. We had six ladies from our group: Cheryl Reichel, Katie Lindquist, Mary Ann Padovano, Nancy Bireley, Lynn Schwartz, and Janelle Hatcher. We planned ahead to dress alike for the day -- wearing white pants and pink Atlanta tee shirts. Everyone took notice of us, and we were able to keep up with one another. We traveled northeast of Dearborn around Lake St. Claire. Our destination was Marine City. We disembarked in front of a beautiful Catholic Church that had been established early in the history of the area. It was used by early pioneers, hunters, and trappers (not the building, but the Church). An organ demonstration was given by the organist. It was called a Trapper organ. The ladies were allowed to go into the choir loft
to see the operation up close. We left with good feelings for having experienced the tour.

Next, we visited an Inn where we had lunch. The food was good and the view from the window overlooking the lake was breathtaking. We saw yachts pass by along with barges and small boats, even a small raft with two boys and a dog. When lunch was concluded with a fashion show, all were invited to the shop where the clothes were sold. All the ladies walked to the shop and many bought clothing and jewelry. We then loaded onto our bus and returned to the Hyatt Hotel.
Tuesday evening was the Welcome Party where we met Henry Ford III. He talked about many aspects of the company. Wednesday night was the Grand National Buffet where we were entertained by the Sweet Adelines, a barbershop quartet sounding group of women. Friday night was the Grand National Awards Banquet.
Our trip home began early on Saturday, leaving Michigan behind. We stopped for lunch at a place in Ohio -- it was a locally operated restaurant. The food was very good. I hope someone remembers the name. We also took gas and rest stops along the way.

The trip over the Ohio River this time was by ferry. As we drove down to the river, we see the ferry in the middle going to the other side. We could see on the other side there were many motorcycles waiting, and also autos. We came down the ramp parked all sorts of ways and quickly realized we needed to be better organized to board, so we moved our autos in better positions while others joined us. The ferry came into the bank and let the ramp down. Off roared all those motorcycles, spinning and throwing gravel. Our autos board along with two others.

Crossing a river by ferry is fun. A breeze ripples through your hair and makes you feel relaxed. We left the ferry in Augusta, Kentucky, the hometown of Rosemary Clooney. One of our autos got a vapor lock coming up the steep incline, so we all parked in front of Rosemary’s home. We were glad to take this advantage to look around at the scenery. The view over the river toward Ohio was beautiful.

We drive into Kentucky toward Lexington. Rosie (Hatcher’s ‘50 coupe) has hiccups as we drive into Paris. We stop for gas, ice, refreshment. Rosie gets her hood up for an examination. Some of her parts were tinkered with, and she was given a test drive. Bob and Lynn Schwartz decide to head out to the night’s lodging in Danville, and the rest of us have dinner at a Pizza Place. We then head into Lexington on the Circle Road, Rosie coughs again. We stop for another exam in a shopping center lot after dark. More tinkering and we are off again. We arrive at the Comfort Inn after 10 p.m. We are all hot, miserable, and ready for showers and bed. (382 Miles)

Today is the final day. We are off again with 345 miles to cover. We follow US127 stopping for rest and fuel. We begin to climb as we are leaving Kentucky and entering Tennessee. Rosie begins another one of her coughing spells before we get to the top. She finally gave up near the top on a curve. Somehow she gets over off the pavement on the northbound lane where there was space to park and open the hood for another exam. Everyone pitches in -- the men bring all the tools and expertise to the exam, the women stand by assisting by directing traffic around the sextet of autos. A sheriff came by checking things out a couple of times. He seemed to think we were handling the situation just fine.

After a while Rosie felt better and we were on our way again. As we came into Jamestown, Tennessee, the radios came alive wanting to know where to have lunch. We drove through town. Someone remembered a place in a shopping center with a woman’s name. We went back and checked. Sure enough it was a buffet-style café. We all got washed up and filled our plates with good home-style cooking.

After lunch, we decide to take an easier route (less hills) back to Atlanta (no more scenic highways). We drove to Crossville, took Hwy 127 to Hwy 111, then Hwy 27 into Chattanooga where we stopped again for fuel and rest. Some decided to take I-75 and others took Hwy 19-41. Traffic on I-75 was loud and Rosie coughed a few more times but kept going.

Lamar and Nancy left us near Marietta. Larry and Carol stayed with us on 285, but we pulled off at Riverside Drive into a church parking lot where the hood went up again and Roy and Larry did more tinkering. Rosie was going again so we get back on 285 heading for home. We radio Larry and Carol to tell them we’re leaving them at Covington Highway so we will be on surface roads if there’s more trouble. We are two miles from home when she acts up, and we pull into a service station parking area where Roy tinkers with the points. She starts and we drove on home.

Rosie, Roy and I really appreciate all the time, attention, and love we received during the trip home. The trips are so much fun! We really get to know one another in the good times and the bad, and trouble can come to anyone when they are on the road. We are so thankful to be in a group where everyone looks after everyone.

2008 Dearborn Michigan
The good, the bad, the ugly
By Lamar Hart

Our caravan of six couples in six flathead Fords arrived at the Grand National Meet late Sunday afternoon. After traveling three days, everyone was ready for a good dinner and an early bedtime.

Monday morning found our group rested and ready for work. Jerry and Cheryl Reichel were in charge of registration so they spent three straight days at that station. All the other members of our group worked in this area in four-hour shifts. It’s really a fun job because you get to meet some very interesting people. For instance, a gentleman who registered with me on Wednesday brought a 1936 Ford sedan with a stainless steel body. He said that it was in storage for years and that he had just bought it two weeks earlier. I couldn’t wait to go see it. I had read stories about these glistening beauties and that only six were made, all of which were in exclusive museums. Well, this was not like that.

It certainly was an unpainted stainless body, one of those very few to have been made. But it used, very used, rather beat up, and ugly dirty. It looked very much like a typical barn find. Everyone in the small crowd was sort of bewildered at how such a rare and unique automobile could end up in such a sad shape. Stainless steel is not a material that is easily straitened and returned to its original smoothness. I read that’s why DeLorean started painting its later cars. Even that sad condition, it was still intriguing.

Nancy and I visited the Henry Ford Museum. I could not begin to describe the massive collections. There are locomotives, aircraft, farm machinery, and of course automobiles, all displayed in air conditioned comfort. We also visited the Edsel Ford home. This is a preserved view of how the very, very super rich could live in the 1930s.The home and one hundred plus acre grounds are carefully maintained. And the guided tours are professionally conducted.
Several couples took their Flathead Fords on a driving tour of Greenfield Village. This was a very unique opportunity to drive your own car through the Village. They were given a guided tour, photo opportunities, and a special lunch.

I took the tour of the Rouge Plant, a beautiful giant manufacturing complex. It is visitor friendly with a balcony walkway all the way around with signage and video descriptions of the various work stations. They build pickup trucks there. Or they were suppose to. This week they were on an indefinite shut down because gasoline prices have caused these vehicles to almost stop selling. So the work floor was empty; no trucks on the line; no parts and pieces; no workers anywhere. Everything was nice and clean and orderly. But quiet and empty. Like a cemetery. I left the building with a sad feeling. It was sort of like looking at a s
tainless steel 36 Ford with rusted out floorboards.

Notes at our regular meeting:
President Hart and others reported on the National Meet at Dearborn. Over 300 cars were on the concourse for judging. A number of interesting seminars and workshops were held.  In particular, a new source for duplicating the etched glass identification or “bugs”on windows was identified. He noted that next year’s Eastern National Meet will be held in Windsor, Connecticut
Report On 2010 Charlotte Eastern National Meet       From July 2010 Running Board
by Lamar Hart
Georgia RG 24 was well represented at the Charlotte Meet. The following members had cars participating in the event: Larry Bailey ’37 Coupe, Gary Benton ’51 Convertible, Waymon Brownlee “46 Merc. Conv., Wayne Deitrich ’46 Station Wagon, Jimmy Dorsey ’34 Phaeton, Phil & Dick Esco ’40 Tudor, Lamar Hart ’52 Victoria, Barry & Julie Knott ’48Truck, Randall Malone ’40 coupe, Cleve McAfee ’50 coupe, Bob Padovano ’51 Tudor, Jerry Reichel ’51 Fordor, Bob Schwartz ’51 Mercury, Bert Steele ’39 Std. Coupe, Larry Tanner ’51 Coupe, Rick Wilson ’32 Roadster, and Millard Young ’34 Phaeton.
In addition, Morris Bailey. Lance Bucky, Jerry Grayson, David Jumper, Marty Ledbetter and Doug Smith attended the meet.

Twelve early Fords joined the back roads tour to Concord NC. We had a couple of small mechanical problems and several vapor locks in the hot afternoon but no one was stranded alone. We agreed that the cars we drive should have an electric fuel pump as a backup, if possible. Six more members brought flatheads in trailers.

The tour group decided to return to Atlanta using I-85 on Sunday morning. We left at 6:00AM and were back to Buford by noon. The flatheads purred along at 55 in the cooler morning without a whimper. When traveling in a group on the interstate, you better comb your hair and brush your teeth, cause you sure get your picture taken a lot.

It was a busy three days. We visited Dennis Carpenter’s plant and museum. I, as a Cushman owner, always enjoy seeing all those cool motor scooters. One of those scooters was a blue 1946 Cushman like I drove to N. Fulton HIgh as a thirteen year old. Can you imagine a young teenager driving a four horsepower scooter on Piedmont or Peachtree Road today? Times have really changed
Dennis hosted the welcome dinner at his museum on Thursday night. The concourse judging was held on Friday at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. Many of the RG 24 members volunteered for judging responsibilities. The track was opened after the judging to allow club members to take a lap. One of the first on the track was a ’46 Ford tractor. Rumor has it that the lap over took ten minutes.

On Saturday morning, we visited the NASCAR Hall Of Fame. More on that later. The Awards Banquet was on Saturday night. As usual the presentation of awards was just too long. It would speed things if an area for photography were provided in a spot away form where trophies are presented. They did provide the judging sheets along with the trophies and that was very nice. All in all it was a very pleasant evening where Georgia RG 24 members earned many awards.

Report On NASCAR Hall Of Fame
by Lamar Hart
Many of the Early Ford people found their way to the NASCAR Hall of Fame on Saturday. This museum / production is professionally presented and staffed with many well trained people.
The very first racecar on display is a black 1939 Ford Standard Coupe, # 22. It is a recreation of the car that won the first NASCAR championship.  It was owned by Raymond Parks, and sponsored by his Parks Novelty Machine Co. Atlanta Ga.  That company distributed pinball machines, which were quite popular in the 1930s to 50s.  Parks sold and rented but mostly placed pinball machines at filling stations, beer joints and dance halls with an agreement to split the income with the owners of these establishments. That industry had a little image problem because some business owners used this equipment for gambling purposes.  Raymond Parks died on June 20, 2010 at age 96.  He was the last of the original twenty founders of NASCAR.  The last time I saw Mr. Parks, he bought raffle tickets from me for the 59A engine.

The racecar was built by Red Vogt. And driven by Red Byron, both from Atlanta.  As a teenager in Atlanta, I watched this black 22 and a companion red and white 14 race at Lakewood Park, and Hapeville, and Macon, and Rome.  Me and my buddies visited Red Vogt’s Garage on Spring Street to see the cars and hear the talk. Raymond Parks wanted a four car team consisting of a red and white 14, a red and white 22, a black 14, and a black 22, but Vogt’s small shop could not keep pace with the wreckage.  The most they ever had at one time was three cars, driven by Bob Flock, Fonty Flock and Red Byron.  We would see those guys around Atlanta often enough that we knew them, or felt that we did.  At the Hall Of Fame they have life size bronze statues of Parks, Vogt, and Byron.  They are so lifelike….. It gave me a chill.

At the July 2010 Club Meeting:  Jerry Reichel gave a report on the activities of the National Organization. He had clarified information about the liability insurance carried by the National group. Members and guests are covered at activities sanctioned by the Regional Group; the Board of Directors and officers are also covered by the national policy. It may be necessary to complete an application for a Certificate of Insurance for each event.
Sept 2002 TFRB
July 2001
July 1999    Eastern National - Reading PA
May 1997
   June 1997
July 1997
Sept 1997
These are on THIS page.
Click each to go directly to it.  <backspace> brings you back here.

2015 Eastern National - Charlotte NC
2010 Eastern National - Charlotte NC
2009 Eastern National - Auburn IN
2008 Grand National 45th Anniversary Celebration
2007 Eastern National - Fairfax VA
2005 Western National - Keystone CO
2004 Eastern National - Frederick MD
2003 Grand National Meet - Dearborn MI
2002 Eastern National - Vernon Center NY
2001 Central National - Branson MO
1999 Eastern National - Reading PA
1998 Grand National - Dearborn MI
1997 Eastern National Heaven in '97 - Atlanta GA
1993 Dearborn Days - Dearborn MI
1985 Eastern National Give'em A Drive in '85- Atlanta GA
1978 AACA Swapmeet - Hershey PA
2007 Eastern National Meet - Fairfax VA    (?? May 2007 ??)

Report By Fred Lindquist

Tuesday morning eight members of Regional Group #24 and their wives met at the McDonald’s in Loganville for the beginning of an adventure to Fairfax, VA. As we started out, a member who shall remain anonymous, received a ticket for running a red light. Six flatheads and a modern car made their way on the roads less traveled to Durham, NC with a great lunch stop in Columbia, SC at Maurice’s Barbeque where they reserved a special room for the group. After traveling 380 miles in 90-degree weather with natural air conditioning we arrived about 6:00 P.M. at the University Motel. The group freshened up and walked to an Italian restaurant for a good meal and conversation.
Wednesday morning the group drove a few blocks to tour the Duke University Chapel, in reality a duplicate of a gothic European cathedral. The group then drove to the Duke Homestead and museum where we had a tour conducted by the director. Washington Duke was the progenitor of the Duke tobacco fortune because he originated the mechanical production of cigarettes and the rest is history. The group had a quick lunch in Durham and was on the road again. Traveling through Gordonsville, VA there was a prearranged police escort through town and then on to Orange VA for the night, a days drive of 180 miles. The view of the mountains from the Holiday Inn Express was outstanding. The group enjoyed their dinner in the Italian restaurant where we had one long table in a special room.
Thursday morning the group drove to the Manassas Battlefield where everyone entered free on one Golden Eagle Pass because we were in old cars. Some went on the guided tour of the battlefield and others watched a movie of the battle. The group arrived about 2:00 P.M. at the Hyatt Lakes Fairfax to check in. That evening, there was a welcome dinner with a Frank Sinatra impersonator that everyone enjoyed. Janelle Hatcher and Maryann Padovano both won a cap and a dinner certificate for answering the impersonator’s questions that evening.
Friday morning, cars were washed in preparation for concourse day on Saturday. There was a lot of interest in the vendor’s area and some folks found the bargain they hoped for. Roy spent some time tuning his engine. There were some terrific V8’s on display, including eleven 1932 Fords. There were some wonderful items in the raffle room to bid on and members of our group did just that. There was a bus tour of Washington, D.C. to see monuments that day. The President’s meeting and the vehicle owner’s meetings were held late in the afternoon with an opportunity renew old acquaintances and make new ones. The group went to a nearby diner that evening and had a good meal as well as a good time.
Saturday morning at 7:00 A.M. the judges had breakfast together and received their judging assignments. The judges were in place by 9:00 A.M. and work began. Jerry Reichel was the Deputy Judge for Mercurys, 1939 to 1953. His team judged seven cars before 1:00 P.M. Bob Padovano was on the 1940 Ford judging team. Lamar Hart helped judge 52 and 53 cars. Larry Tanner was on the 1951 Ford judging team. Bob Schwartz and Fred Lindquist were on the Mercury judging team. Sam Butler watched. Roy Hatcher did some additional tuning on his car. Several ladies went on the Mt Vernon and Alexandria tour. Lynn Schwartz, Nancy Bireley, and Katie Lindquist all won something at the Chinese Auction. Saturday night, meet members drove their cars to a local member’s farm for barbeque, to see his car collection, and see an operating saw mill. In addition, there was a blue grass band for entertainment.
It rained all day Sunday and into the evening. In spite of the rain, most meet participants drove to the Air & Space Museum at Dulles Airport. Regional Group #24 had a very knowledgeable guide who worked at NASA during the week and volunteered on the weekend. That evening the banquet was held in the hotel where the awards were made. Jerry Reichel received a Medallion Emeritus for his 1951 Ford, Lamar Hart received a Rouge for his 1952 Ford, Bob Padovano won a first place in Touring A for his 1951 Ford, and Fred Lindquist won a second place in Touring A for his 1939 Ford. Roy Hatcher won a very nice book on the history of Ford Motor Co. at the Banquet.
The rain stopped just as the group left on Monday morning. Bob Padovano had trouble with his overdrive requiring three stops before lunch. Following lunch the group made good time arriving in Asheboro, NC to spend the night at the Hampton Inn. The group had dinner at the Rock-Ola Café, located across the parking lot from the motel. After an enjoyable meal, the group had a surprise birthday celebration for Janelle Hatcher with the restaurant’s cooperation.
Tuesday morning the group departed early. The group made good time for the remainder of the trip encountering two heavy rain storms in Elberton and Loganville.
The members of the group enjoyed their tour to Fairfax. These tours are adventures to see new areas, meet new people, renew acquaintances, enjoy the National Meets, and drive the V8’s. It is hoped that more members of Regional Group #24 will participate in these activities to enjoy their vehicles. Next year is the Grand National Meet in Dearborn. Members need to get their cars road worthy and make plans to attend. Whether you prefer to drive by yourself or go with a group, go ahead and make your plans and mark your calendar for July 13 through July 19, 2008.
The Northern Ohio Group has 15 to 20 members who attend these Eastern National Meets every year. There is no reason why Regional Group #24 with over 100 members cannot have 15 to 20 members attend these functions. You are not getting any younger, do not put it off any longer. PARTICIPATE!
Eastern National
Auburn IN 5-3-2009

Morris Bailey's Garage during a Club Meeting
Click on each photo to make it LARGE.  Press the <backspace Key> to go back.
        These have a separate page & lots of photos:
2012 Eastern National - Hiawassee GA
2005 Eastern National  (1 of 2) - Hiawasee AG
2005 Eastern National  (2 of 2)
2000 Eastern National - Charlotte NC   
Schedule of National & International V8 Club Meets & Events
Calendar of National & International V8 Touring & Social Events
1998 Grand National Meet - Dearborn MI
Heaven in '97 - 1997 Eastern National we sponsored.
From Burns Cox's scrapbook (v3-00045 to 00067)
I'm not sure if these are from Heaven in '97 or not:  (v3-00065 to 67)
Possibly simply later - for a different club event?
From April 1997 TFRB    How it will be organized
Heaven in '97
free counter
From Burns Cox's scrapbook (V2-00033 to 00038)
The 1985 Eastern National Meet at Atlanta GA, which WE hosted (in our 16th year
JulAug 1985 V8 Times
Dearborn Days 1993 - June 29th to July 5th (NovDec 1993 V8 Times)          DOWNLOAD
Looks like we "missed' this one - anybody know her?
From July 1987 TFRB
2003 Grand National Meet - Dearborn MI      See/Download the whole 14-page Program
Burns Cox went, entered his '40 Mercury & was a Judge too.
2020 Eastern National Meet - Morgantown PA  Jun 15-18
Download Registration Pkg     Website:  NCR36.com
Next Page
Print page
Prior Page
2020 marks our 51st Anniversary                 51 Years of FUN - driving Early Ford V8s             51 years of NO grass growing under Our tires!                    Our club, #24, keeps rolling On, and On - and has been for 51 years - WOW! !     
Early Ford V-8 Club
Celebrating All Ford Vehicles  1932-1953
Regional Group #24 of Georgia
Club Calendar
To search when on a Page -press CTRL+F & enter Word.
Press ENTER goes to the 1st instance & again for the next.
Type Name/word/letters -  press ENTER
        We are proud members of the
National Early Ford V-8 Club of America
Email the Webmaster
32 Ford Roadster
32 Ford Roadster
Current Runningboard Newsletter
Print Page